If you have a USB DVD drive and would like the media to start playing when you insert it, you need to tell Windows 10 to automatically launch the VLC media player under AutoPlay.
To adjust the AutoPlay settings:
1. Right-click on the Start menu and select Control Panel
2. In the upper right of the Control Panel window, choose "Large Icons" from the View by "Large Icons" then click AutoPlay
3. Find the section you want to autoplay (DVDs, CDs, etc.) and click the "Choose a default" drop down list and choose the option that lets you play using VideoLAN VLC media player.
4. Save your changes and exit the Window by clicking the Save button.
5. You can close the Control Panel by clicking on the X in the upper right.
Now when you insert a DVD into your USB DVD drive, it will automatically launch VLC media player and start playing the disc.